Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Rules, Laws, Restrictions

What is it about rules?
Why do we have so many laws to abide by?
Are we living in an age of so much restrictions?

These are just some of the questions that I have been mulling over in my head over the past week or so.  I think I may be just over thinking some things, but let me rant for a little bit.

In the Old Testament there are rules, and LOTS of them.  There is rule and restriction for everything you could possible imagine.  So much so that it tied the hands of the people who lived within all of these restrictions; they didn't really have a choice to do what they wanted, or act the way they wanted.  They were subject to a bunch of rules.

When Jesus came to earth He not necessarily questioned what the rules and restrictions were, but He questioned the purpose as to why they were there.  Some of the rules were legitimate and had a purpose, but others...not so much.

Now I know where you think I am going, but I am not going there.  I am not this guy that thinks there should be no rules on anything.  I believe in an ordered society where people are kept accountable and there are consequences for actions.  I believe this to be true not just in our country and place of residence, but in our churches as well.  It is important to have order.

The problem that I see is at what point do these rules, laws, and restrictions hinder a person's relationship with Christ?

Is there a set number?  Maybe after 15 rules, then it is hindering the relationship with Christ?  Or maybe 30? 50? 10?

In the Old Testament there were over 600 rules that the Israelites obeyed.  That's a lot of rules.  On some levels it denied anyone else the ability to enter into a relationship with God because if they weren't obeyed by, then you're out (not exactly, but you see my point).

This brings me to the bigger question of all of this.  One that I have been wrestling with since I spoke on Christmas Day 2011 at my church:

Why did Christ come to earth?

I think He came because He didn't want just a bunch of law followers with no soul.  He wanted people.  People that have hearts and have freedom.  Freedom from the constraints of rules, laws, and restrictions.  Following Christ means freedom.  Freedom to live the way, I believe, God intended it in the first place: to be in a relationship with God.

Let me state clearly again.  I have no problem with rules.  Without them there is anarchy and people take advantage of everyone and everything.  There needs to be rules.  But at what point do rules negate the reason why Christ came (to bring freedom)?

I questions rules, laws, and restrictions when they deter us away from a relationship with Christ; when following Him becomes following a bunch of rules.  That has been done before, and, maybe, worked for a time, but it's not the way God wants it anymore, or He wouldn't have sent is Son, Jesus.

So I'll ask the question again,

Why did Christ come to earth?

Let me know what you think.  

I appreciate your comments and thoughts!


Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment