Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

The Underground Church

Over the last week I have been reading through a book called "Tortured for Christ", which has been informative to say the least; stories upon stories recounted from Richard Wurmbrand, founder of "The Voice of the Martyrs".

I guess I really don't know what to say about the whole thing; I am speechless regarding what I could explain and my opinion on this. The truth is none of us in North America truly know what it is like to risk our life for our faith. Sure, maybe at school we stand up for our faith and people laugh and make fun of us, but being made fun of and having a gun pointed at you and if you don't renounce your faith you will be shot are two completely different things.

In Canada we have it so good. We don't have to hide our identity at all in life, yet we are scared to talk about Christ with others. For the longest time I was ashamed to bring my Bible out on the subway because I didn't want to get into conversations about it.

What does this say about our faith?
What does this say about my faith?

The Underground Church across the world are meeting in attics and basements and buildings knowing that if they get caught they will be subject to imprisonments, beatings, and other forms of torture, or death. But, they still meet.

We in free countries are debating ridiculous things about the Bible, meanwhile, people all across the world are being killed for simply believing.

At first, upon reading this book, I thought the writer was just complaining to much about how the Church in the west is just too self-centered that we can't see people dying across the world, but he is right.

How many of our churches in North America are praying for these people across the world?

How many of us, as individuals, are praying for these people?

How many of us even know that that this is going on in our world today?

How many of us know that Christians are hunted in places like Somalia like we hunt deer and other animals here in Canada?

We are so self-centered here in North America that we can't see it and I include myself in on the 'we'.

The book has made me think a lot about what I am concerned about on a daily basis. I don't know what it's like to be a person who has been tortured for my faith, or imprisoned, or killed for my faith.

This is just what's 'on my mind...'

Let me know what you think. I want to hear your thoughts.

Andrew


***For more information on 'The Voice of the Martyr's' just type it in Google and you will find it.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting thoughts and seems like a thought-provoking book. Kinda seems funny now that before going to China I was all concerned about potentially going to jail for have my bible with me. I'm so glad I can see beyond that now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have to say, this post reminds me of a line in a book I just read: "Am I just bringing a pail of water to a place that is flooding?" Sometimes it seems that we are so concerned about things that don't really matter.

    ReplyDelete