Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

"Thanks"

What does it mean to be thankful?
Why is it we tend to complain more than being thankful?
Is it we actually don't know what it means?

I remember during my trip to Japan in the summer of 2012 being completely and utterly stunned by the people being so nice.  I mean they always said thank-you, they always welcomed me whenever I would walk into a store (mind you it got annoying by the end of the trip), and they were always more than willing to help.  One thing I did notice though was it was so ingrained in their culture; it just seemed so natural for them to be thankful.

In being from Canada and then traveling to other places I have noticed this country is a POLITE culture.  Just go for a walk in a mall on a Saturday and count the amount of times you hear "excuse me" or "sorry"; believe me you will be stunned because it will be A LOT.  Although Canada is a polite culture it seems as though, without fail, when winter comes, out come the complainers as well: "Why is it so cold?", "Why does it have to snow so much?", "When will there be more sunshine?"  This tends to be what I hear when the "dreaded winter" comes.  This year especially I have gotten quite annoyed of people saying how terrible the weather is when it is simply cold.  If it is so terrible than move to a different country!  Well my mind says that, but I simple say nothing in response.

Of course this got me thinking about what it means to be truly thankful for what we have.  Here is what I have discovered: I we have fallen into the trap of only being thankful when things go our way and we get what we want.  Case and point, Canadian winter.  Why is it most people don't like it?  It's not what they want.  I mean no one will actually admit to this, but deep down I think it's the reason.

When we get what we want it is easy to be thankful, but when we don't it seems to be so hard.  Why?  The answer to this question I don't actually know for everyone.  The answer for me is, because I take things for granted; the moment I start taking things for granted the less and less thankful I get.  I think this is how Paul the apostle was able to "be thankful in all circumstances" (1 Thess. 5:18).

So I'll ask the question: why is it so hard to be thankful at all times?

I think the answer to this simple question leads to another one: how do we become thankful at all times?  The answer to this question leads us to a more intimate relationship with Jesus.  The answer to this question leads to a discussion of the heart and helps us understand what it means to be thankful.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this thought-provoking and inspiring post Andrew!

    I am so thankful (hehe) these days to feel a deep gratitude for everything in my life. I think this is a result of my current connection to God and to my daily reliance on Him. Since leaving my job and a 'comfortable' (albeit stressful) life, I am faced daily with a reminder of my need for God. I think this has been my recipe for gratitude. I am thankful for every morsel of food, every moment of health, every conversation, ever item in my home. My cat, my husband, my life. Living in the present moment helps too. It's all we have!

    Of course there are still things I take for granted, plenty of things. Here's to us all cultivating a deeper, more permeating gratitude for all things. And a life with less complaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit it... This winter has been long and yes, so many complaints from people! This year I've chosen to find wonder moments in each season, each day. God has blessed me with many moments and this has led to thankfulness on my part. Several times when leaving for work late at night I've gone outside to a crisp, cold, clear night. On these nights it's like God has sprinkled glitter all over the snow at the front of my home! I can't get over the sparkle and the glam that the pure white snow has. My sister was visiting from CA a few weeks ago and when she left my home late at night it was one of these nights. She was overwhelmed with the beauty ...to the point of speechlessness. I was so thankful that she got to take in this spectacular sight since she rarely enjoys snow and winter having lived in CA now for almost 18 years.

    ReplyDelete