Pages

Friday, September 23, 2016

Life As Mystery

I think I'm becoming a mystic. There I said it out loud. It's not a bad thing AT ALL, but I had to say it for the truth to sink in.

With that truth said, life is a mystery.

Take a step. Seriously, stand up and take a step. Did you know what was going to happen when you took this step? 'Of course' some may say, but I'm at a point now where my answer is no - I didn't know what was going to happen when I took the step. We have ideas, lots of them. Some ideas are small and some are big. All of these ideas have impact and all of them have purpose. Ideas are formulated by putting time and energy it to making it happen; putting the shovel to the ground as some may say. During the process of formulation unexpected things happen. The idea has morphed into something else, it got derailed, sidetracked, it happened to just be a thought and it's over, it is now way bigger than first thought.

Throughout life we all take steps. Some steps seem mundane like walking to the toilet and others seem purposeful like walking into a new job. These steps, each step, has a purpose and meaning. Each new step takes us into a space we have never been before. I need to say it again for myself. Each new step takes us into a space we have never been before. If we have never been to the space we are now putting our foot into, isn't this mysterious? This is exciting.

I love looking at life like this because I think I am in control, but I am really out of control. Every time I remember this mysterious life I am remembering I have put my life in the control of the One who has created me. It is out of my control, yet in full control. Sure, I choose when to walk, where to go, but in my journeys do I choose who I encounter? Do I choose my surroundings? Do I choose the people I see, the smiles I give, the energy I put out there?

When I consider life as a mystery it humbles me. The world is much, much bigger than my small little world. This does not mean my small world is unimportant, but it means it fits into a much larger picture. As I consider what a mystery life is I see new ways my life fits into the greater picture.

Today as I step, I step into mystery; I step into 'Radical Amazement' (Abraham Joshua Heschel).

No comments:

Post a Comment