Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Linger Longer

A while ago I took this full-day Mindfulness Based Meditation class. It was challenging and amazing all at the same time. There is a ton I took from it, but there is one thing I remember which soars above the rest.

5 minutes.

I was told the art of meditation is to do it 5 minutes longer than I think I could. For some people they don't think they can do it at all, so 5 minutes is the starting point. For others it can be done for a while, so they simply increase their time by 5 minutes. It's uncanny what happens in those 5 minutes. Usually the most profound moments of clarity and realization happen in those 5 minutes.

Since before this meditation class I have had this saying with my church and in my life, linger longer. You know those moments in life you don't want to stop? Those moments in life where it feels like something bigger is going on? Well it's actually not these moments I am talking about because at these times we do usually linger longer. What I am talking about is the mundane moments, those moments where nothing seems to be happening. In those moments, linger longer. I have found in those moments waiting an extra 5 minutes has given me things I never thought possible.

Today, as you go about your today, stay in a space for another 5 minutes longer than you would. Take some deep breaths in those moments. Don't be so quick to rush off to the next thing because there is something in those 5 minutes which could change your life. It's happened to me more than I can recount.

No comments:

Post a Comment